Saturday, April 4, 2009

mickie james: the bumpy life of a diva

mickie Pictures, Images and Photos
Mickie James: The Bumpy Life of a Diva
The guy wrestlers have it easy. World Wrestling Entertainment hardbodies like Triple H and John Cena have to eat smart, work out like fiends and hit the tanning bed. Then they can beat each other's brains in night after night.
Women wrestlers, the WWE divas, have to do all that, including beating each other's brains in - while looking totally hot in sexy, revealing costumes.
It's pretty hard to look pretty and hard.
"I don't have the most glamorous life when I'm on the road - and we're on the road 300 days a year," said WWE diva Mickie James. She's held the women's title four times, and will compete in the 25 Diva Battle Royale at Wrestlemania at Reliant Stadium.
I met James at the WrestleManiArt show Wednesday night at the library in downtown Houston. Her contribution was creative writing and poetry. Her writing style is free form and imaginative. In a wrestling ring, she's a terror. On a page, a dreamer.
"My typical day is very regimented. I drive from town to town if I can. I'm a night driver. I will drive the 200 or 300 miles to the next city. So I don't get to bed until 3 or 4 a.m. most nights. Then I get up at 11 a.m, checkout time. I go to a Starbucks, because I'm addicted to their coffee. Then I find a local gym and do my workout."
Her workout usually lasts around two hours. She does me heavy cardio, kick boxing, explosion drills and calisthenics. Then she sits in a sauna to relax and sweat even more.
"I take a lot of showers during a typical day. After my workout, I start preparing myself for the show that night. I will grab something to eat. Genetically, the women in my family were blessed with voluptuous figures, so I have to work at keeping my weight down. I eat high protein and low carbs," she said.
Breakfast is usually three eggs, two of which are only the whites, plus a small bowl of oatmeal. Lunch will be a protein shake. Dinner is just whatever she can grab on the run.
"Every once in a while, I will allow myself to cheat. But I'm good at sticking to the diet.
"She doesn't visit tanning booths on the road. She doesn't trust them.
"I don't know how they clean the tanning bed or what products they use. I'm a woman, and the more you tan, the more damage you do to your skin. I use fake tan, too. I'm also Native American, so I was blessed with olive skin.
"By now it's "4-ish" and she's off to the wrestling arena.
"I show up at the building in a dress or a suit. So once I get there, I have to start getting ready all over again. I get my ankles taped because I sprained my ankle recently. I have bad knees, too. I'll put on my tights and try to work out a little in the ring before they open the doors for the fans.
"Now it's 5 p.m. and it's time to get ready - again - this time for real - for the show.
"I'm sweaty from working out in the ring, so I take another shower. I have getting ready down to a science. From head to toe, it takes me about an hour, which is pretty quick for a girl.
"Even though her match usually goes on early in the show, she stays backstage until the main event is finished and all the wrestlers leave. Of course, there's another shower before she gets in the car for the latenight drive to the next city. The divas have separate dressing rooms and showers.
All the showering takes its toll on her skin. She uses Oil of Olay and Aveeno on her face. Her body wash is from Victoria's Secret. "I can't help it, I can't live without that body wash."
She gets three days off per week. That's when she relaxes, recuperates and glamorizes.
"I get my nails done. I get a pedicure. I make time for these things. I put away time to see my family and take care of my dog and my horses. I know how to burn the candle at both ends. It keeps me grounded.
"Her nails used to be a problem. "I was always breaking them in the ring."She solved the problem two ways. One, she uses acrylic polish and keeps her nails short and rounded. Two, and more important, she learned how to punch her opponent without breaking her nails.
"In this business, you have to learn how to work with nails. It comes with the territory. Before I joined the WWE, it wasn't a problem. I didn't get my nails done very much because I couldn't afford it.
"So why does a single woman - she doesn't have a boyfriend even - put up with the relentless travel, super-disciplined lifestyle, boring diet, bum knees, broken nails and the occasional busted nose?
"Because I truly love what I do. The moment I stepped in the ring the first time, I loved it. I can't imagine doing anything else. Very rarely do people get a chance to touch so many people's lives like we do. That makes me feel so good. I get chill bumps every time. So what if I don't get to eat pizza or chicken wings or my favorite cheese fries? It's worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment